Abandoned Dixie Cup Factory

abandoned America
abandoned America
A 40,000-gallon replica of the Dixie Cup sets atop the factory

The Dixie Cup Co. plant opened in 1921. The company got its start in New York, but industrialist Hugh Moore moved to the Lehigh Valley because he needed more manufacturing space. The cups were originally called Health Kups, but Moore switched the name to Dixie after a popular line of dolls made by the Dixie Doll Co. Besides drinking cups, the Wilson plant made single-serving ice cream cups.

 

The 40,000-gallon Dixie Cup water tower has been a part of the Easton-area skyline for nearly a century. The first cup tower was smaller than the one today, which had served as an emergency water supply once used during the Hurricane Diane flood of 1955. The cup/water tower was changed over the years to reflect the evolving yet basic Dixie Cup designs.

 

According to a Dixie Cup newsletter article, pilots heading to Lehigh Valley International Airport used to use the cup, which was illuminated at night, as a marker for their approach.

abandoned America
Remnants of the manufacturing process at the abandoned Dixie Cup Factory, Easton, PA.

Shortly after Wilsonpark Ltd. took over ownership of the Dixie Cup plant, the giant cup was covered, to the dismay of residents. The cup reappeared a couple of years later with a redesigned logo created by a Wilson Area High School student with colors representing Wilson and Easton Area high schools.

abandoned America
Peaking through the broken glass at the abandoned Dixie Cup factory.
abandoned America
A cluttered hallway leading to the administrative offices.
abandoned America
A rusted drum highlighted by a ray of sunshine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scroll Up